Money problems. We’ve all had them. And it is exactly in these times when we are faced with money problems that we need to raise emergency funds for something that has just come up. This is an article dedicated to the times we need money fast. Here are a few ideas to raise £1,000 quickly.
- Sell Stuff – This is by far the easiest way to raise £1,000 quickly. We all have unwanted stuff just laying around adding to the clutter in our lives. Why not use this ‘trash’ and turn it into treasure via the numerous online sites available today; eBay, Schpok. Everyone loves a bargain so if you price your items right, you could see the pounds rolling in quickly.
- Ask for a raise – I find it odd how little we Brits aim to negotiate our salaries. We complain that we are paid too little yet we never really take any action to increase our salaries. I’ve always believed in the mantra ‘ if you don’t ask, you don’t get. So ask for that raise. Do you want more money? Ask for it. Asking for a raise is a great way to earn money fast because other than the conversation to make the request, there’s no other work you need to do! Make your case to your employer as to why you deserve a raise and your increased salary will surely help you save up that £1,000.
- Get a part-time job – This goes hand in hand with the point above. I appreciate that with some employers there is just no room for negotiation. This is where you need to be proactive and get a second job. Even if for a short term period, getting a part time job is one of the most straightforward ways to earn money fast! Even better if it’s a part time job you’ve always wanted to do but haven’t had full time capacity for.
One part time job I have recently discovered is tutoring. Students of all levels need tutors. Post an ad on campus or online offering tutoring services for whatever subjects you feel comfortable with. And I must say the pay is pretty decent!
- Participate in research studies – It is amazing how much money there is in research studies. The bulk of the research studies that are available are offered by universities. You can find these studies by checking out university websites or searching “paid research studies” online. You should get some results for studies conducted both in-person and online.
- Participate in online surveys – Partaking in surveys as a way of making money has grown in popularity. It is quick, easy and convenient. You can find a few websites that send you surveys every day and rack up points that you can redeem for money. You can get started with Swagbucks, which lets you convert your points to cash or gift cards at your favourite stores.
- Monetize a hobby – If you have a unique skill or talent, you could very well make money off of it! Here are some hobbies you might consider monetizing Create and sell things on Etsy or Instagram, offer photography or photo editing services, offer lessons for any instruments you play, submit writing to magazines or literary journals.
- Cut Your Expenses – Technically this is not a way of ‘earning’ an extra £1,000 but cutting down on expenses is one sure-fire way to have an extra £1,000 in your bank account. A few ideas include cancelling unused subscriptions, living with a roommate instead of on your own, cancelling your gym membership and running outdoors, shopping for discount groceries, or taking public transport instead of driving.
- Learn To Invest Your Money – With cash accounts paying a paltry sub 1% rate of interest, you would need over £100,000 to earn £1,000 in interest. On the other hand, going by historical stock market returns, you would only need to invest between £12,000 – £14,000 to earn an extra £1,000.
- Use cashback websites – The next time you purchase something online or need to switch a utility provider, use a cashback website and you can earn cashback for any purchases you were already going to make.
- Give Freelance Writing A Go – Some people rely solely on freelance writing as their main source of income. It can take time to build a list of clients, and develop your writing specialities. But, it’s never too late to throw your hat into the ring! Try sending pitches to publications catered toward things you’d genuinely be interested in writing about.
There you have it. 10 ways to make a thousand pounds quickly. So if you are ever short of money, try implementing the above points to see how much extra money you could earn.