Easy Step By Step Guide For Completing Your Self Assessment Tax Return Online

With tax season upon us and the online deadline of 31st January for Self Assessment (SA) returns quickly looming, this seems a good time do a post on how to complete and SA return. Many people who need to submit an SA return and normally left confused about how to go about doing it online. This post will show you how to set up your Self Assessment Tax return Online as well as give key details as to how to actually fill out your SA return.

It is important to remember that the deadline of 31 January 2017 is for the 6 April 15 – 6 April 2016 tax year.

How To Set-Up Your SA Return Online

  1. Sign Up for a Government Gateway Account. You can do so here : https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/registration.
  2. Once in Your Government Gateway account, go to the Self Assessment page. You will be asked to fill in your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) and either your National Insurance Number (NINO) or your Postcode.
  3. Once you submit this, you will be sent an activation code. Activation Code can take up to a week to arrive and if you are overseas it may take a little longer. The envelope will be marked ‘Government Gateway’. As activations code arrive by post, make sure you register to do you SA return by getting your access code well in advance. Remember that if you are late filing your SA return, even by a day, you will be charged £100 penalty.
  4. Once armed with your activation code, go into your gov gateway account an input the code in the SA section. This will open up a page for you to complete your SA return.

How to fill out your SA return.

Have a look at the ‘how to fill in your tax return’ guide published by HMRC : https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/505159/sa150-notes_2016.pdf
The guide is really straightforward and gives you the details you need to fill out your self assessment. It gives you guidelines on what each section of the SA return is about, whether that be employment income, self employed income, partnerships income, trusts and capital gains.

There are also help sheets on the HMRC website giving help on tax reliefs, pensions, other income and losses and life insurance and shares. The HMRC helpsheets can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/self-assessment-helpsheets-main-self-assessment-tax-return

Also have a look at the tax advice section of this website as I have written extensively about capital gains, pensions, foreign dividends, foreign remittance and the various reliefs offered and this may help you complete your SA return. Alternatively, search what you are looking for in the search bar in the right hand column.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments and I will do my best to answer.